If you think you can, you can.
This is what my fortune cookie said last night. I’ve thought a lot about that since I opened it. Initially, like I do with most fortune cookies, I read it, dismissed it, and threw it in the garbage. Yeah. Yeah. Whatever.
Last night, I pulled it back out, wiped off the cashew chicken remains, and set it up on my kitchen window sill. What do I think I can do? I never thought about this before. I know what I can’t do; I’ve been telling myself as have others what I can’t do for years. So, I’ve decided to make a list of 8 things I can do. Why 8? Because today marks my 8th day of waking up sober.
1. wake up sober.
2. be patient with myself and others because I am not hungover and irritable.
3. drive the speed limit to work because I am not running late because I overslept due to drinking the night before.
4. (speaking of sleep) sleep a full 8 hours without waking up- something I fooled myself into thinking before I needed alcohol and a sleeping pill to do.
5. tuck my kids into bed without brushing my teeth first because I no longer reek of Captain and Coke.
6. tell my husband that I honestly did NOT plan to tell him I sent my college-aged daughter money. (He already knew.)
7. truly ask God for help not because I am drunk, on my knees bartering with Him, but because I am sober and know I have a long road ahead of me and I cannot do this alone.
8. ask for help. This last one is new. I liked to think I knew it all. Now, I KNOW how little I know.